Sunday, November 28, 2010

Deathscythe EW: Session 1

Patience often has its virtue.  But sometimes waiting can work against you.  With the current economy as it is right now, everything is in a stinking mess.  One particular mess is the dollar/yen exchange rate.  For a very long time, the exchange rate for the yen has been over 100:1.  In other words, it used to cost over 100 yen to convert to a single dollar.  This is no longer the case.  Past entries will reveal that I have several items which originated from Japan, ordered and imported directly so that I may get my hands on them.  Because of the terrible rate for the dollar and yen, getting anything from Japan became much more expensive than normal.

Some days ago, I was able to pick up my new Gundam model kit, a Master Grade Gundam Deathscythe from the Gundam Wing series.  However, its design is perhaps different due to its sublabel as an Endless Waltz version, which is the movie based on the Gundam Wing series.  The parcel came up surprisingly small, which is unlike the other Master Grade model kits I've purchased before (see Astray Red Frame and Sword Impulse Gundam).  But I then realize as to why the size is so immensely different between the two -- design and number of accessories.  The more accessories the model comes with, the larger the packaging.

I look through the assembly manual and find that there is not a lot to put together.  No kidding, the kit is smaller and there are less parts to go through.  So unlike the Astray Red Frame which took me a while to go through (because of numerous pieces, panel lines, and detailing), I should have no problem going through this one for assembly.  One part that worries me is the colors.  I can only hope that I have the colors to match the pieces so I can cover up the areas that were cut and trimmed down.

The first session is to get things started.  But only a tiny portion has been assembled.  One of the fallout of placing lines and details on the Astray Red Frame is that I could not recognize what parts are visible on the finished product and which are not.  I figure that this time around, I should carefully judge if a part may end up being visible when finished.  I can only hope that this process will pay off.

No comments: